Friday, February 18, 2011

And We're Off

This new training schedule has started and is actually harder than it appears on paper. When my PT, Bridget gave me the calendar marked out with all the days to do stuff (Mon and Fri off) I was like bring it on, this looks great. Only 1 hour of different interval and easy heart rate workouts. Newsflash- An hour is a LONG time to workout!

Wednesday, my first workout day on the program. Like an idiot, I went for a walk (over and above the scheduled workout) at lunch for 4 miles. Well, I didnt have socks and thought is would be ok to walk that long in new crosstrainers- Not so much- I now have 4 huge blisters on my feet, 1 on my top of my foot, 2 on the backs of the heels and 1 huge one on the bottom of my right foot. This makes it nearly impossible to wear any shoes except flip flops.

So after that stupid move, I was scheduled to run for 60 minutes- 10 minute warm up then intervals 2 minutes in zone 1 and 1 minute in zone 2 for 15 times (45 mins) then cool down for 5. Since I could not put on my running shoes, I decided I would try this on the bike instead. Bike shoes still hurt but not as bad as my Brooks and a lot less pressure.

I started my warm up- great easy- then the intervals came and I could not get my heart rate past zone 2 (my zone 2 is 173-178). Trying to get past that was very difficult- which I guess is good because that is a high rate. I actually was crying at one point and yelling at Andy because he put on music for me (nice) and it went to a horribly slow song so being in the rage of the hardest training and the horrible music- I may have blown up a bit- Just sayin! Needless to say I did not complete workout #1- I stopped after 35 minutes and called it a workout!

Yesterday was my swimming day- yay! I was already to workout after work- go right to the gym and get it over with, but no. I forgot my heart rate band and since I had to keep my heart rate in Zone 2 for the entire 1 hour swim I needed that band. I went home ate dinner (Quinoa Pasta noodles- no wheat) and then somehow found the energy to get in the car and drive all the way back to the gym to swim for 1 HOUR. I got there pretty late, the Masters Swim team was just finishing up and their workout was still on the whiteboard, so decided to follow that routine.

I put on my cap, goggles and hopped in the water. My heart rate was tracking just fine until I put the strap under the water. Hmmm its not working? I stood up so the strap would come out of the water and it would work, then I would go under the water and it would stop. Damn Sam it didnt work for my swim. I did finish my Long 1 hour swim, which I must say was pre-tty boring.  I got home and read up on Gamins and water only to find out that NO HR monitor works in the water because of the electrical current of the waves (even ask the Navy one blog said).

Why is everything so technical? What happen to the Eat Less, Move More theory? And now I have to worry about electrical currents?

Tomorrow I have an even harder interval training 2 mins in Zone 1, 2 mins in Zone 2 and 1 min 1 Zone 3- repeat 9 times (9 Times?-Ferris hasn't been absent 9 times). I also get to see my Nutritionist at 1pm.. Look out summer this girl is going to be too hot for AZ!

Ciao
 

No comments:

Post a Comment