Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Taking Action

After seeing Lady Gaga on the Grammys and wanting her body I need to take action now and just DO IT already!.

Yesterday at 7am I went to see a real personal trainer and had my Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) checked and my Cardio Point testing at Lifetime fitness. The first test was me wearing a really tight neoprene mask laying in a very comfortable chair breathing in and out. I had to fast the night before (yes on valentines day- no chocolate for me). Once this was finished she asked what my goal weight was.. I said "136", she looked up from the computer and said, "now do you think that is a realistic goal?" I laughed and said "maybe not????" She said "lets put 140 instead"- My dreams of being the 2011 Twiggy have been shot! Oh well at least I will lose some weight and still look good without looking sick.

I went back last night to take the 2nd part of the test, the Cardio Point. This one was the rigorous test. I had to run on a treadmill wearing the same neoprene mask for 12 minutes, sounds easy right? Well let me tell you how easy it was NOT. The test starts off walking and upping the speed by .5 of mph each time, then after a 5 minute warm up, the speed is increased to 5.0 then every 2 minutes after that the incline raises until it reaches10, then you run until you reach your Anaerobic Threshold (AT).

When I first started my PT, Bridget, immediately asked if I had a high heart rate. I shook my head yes because I couldnt talk with the mask on. I wanted to tell her all about my heart rate and that was the reason why I was there, but I had to wait until later. Speaking of the mask, it was so tight and there was only just a small tube to breathe in and out of that halfway through the test the tube blew off and fell to the ground, I had to step on the side of the treadmill while my PT put the tube back into the mask. Then about a minute later it happened AGAIN. After I reached my AT I was able to cool down and Bridget kept telling me to take deep breaths 3 seconds in, 3 seconds out. I guess I was hypervenilating and didnt even know it. Im surprise I didnt pass out and lose my bladder (oh thats another blog)...

So after the testing I took off the mask and said Steve (the PT I borrowed the mask from- dont worry I disinfected it) needs a new mask, the rubber part must be worn out. We proceeded to go to her office where she had printed off about 50 pages of results. But before she gave them to me, she said that I am not getting enough oxygen and thats why I felt like I was hyperventlating. She also told me that out of all of her years doing these tests that no one has blown off the tube like I had. I looked at her and started laughing so hard and said "so the mask isnt worn out, I just was breathing that hard, and Steve doesnt need a new mask" WE both were in hysterics.

Ok do you want to know my results... ? here they are whether you like it or NOT!
1. My Resting Metabolic Rate is 1130,  Normal non working out adults are about 1600. Athletic/healthy adults should be around 1800-2000.  Metabolism? What Metabolism? My body pretty much is always in starvation mode therefore I am not burning any fat EVER. My body thinks it is starving so every Carb or Sugar I eat gets taken up and never allows my body to tap into my stored carbs let alone fat.

2. My Cardio Point test- When working out, your heart rate goes into Zones 1-5.  1 being a warm up- easy and 5 your absolute highest it can go without dying. Zones are broken out by BPMs 
Here is a comparison of normal vs Lisa
Zone Normal Lisa
1 Recovery 90-116 159-173
2 Aerobic 116-137 173-178
3 Endurance 137-156 178-183
4 Anaerobic 156-176 183-193
5 Threshold 176-195 193-Dead

As you can clearly see, something is not right.. long story short... I have hired Bridget to be my coach to get my heart rate zones to normal. She also said that my body is under constant stress from not breathing and working out too hard and that my Adrenals, Cortisol and Thyroid are out of whack (even though all tests show normal). She also said this is probably why I have not been able to get pregnant.

OMG this is a long post.. I am so sorry.. just a little more

I am now on a very strict diet of no dairy, no wheat and no beer (mom you should be happy) for 3 months to start.. I can still drink, just clear alcohol and if I do have a drink No Carbs what so ever with it. I have to eat 6- 250 calorie balanced meals of protein and carbs a day. And I have an hour workout combining intervals and low heart rate runs/swims each day except Fridays that gets sent to my email the night before so I know what to do.

I see a nutritionist next week and go back for testing in 3 months to see if my numbers have lowered.

Wish me luck, this will be a huge challenge for me (especially the beer part) but it will all be worth it and a whole lot less expensive then IVF!

Phew- Im Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment