Thursday, February 10, 2011

Looking Back

The other day I was bored at work and started reading my first blog posts and had to truly laugh, cry and be proud of myself (it was a real "much better than cats" moment). From where I started to where I am now with the running is AMAZING.

When I first started I could barely walk for 30 minutes let alone run the entire time. Now I have no problem physically (mentally, always) running continuously for up to 10 miles probably more, just have not tried it- yet.

Yesterday was a huge milestone for me. There is a gentleman I work with, Chris (our CFO), who is a 5 or 6 time marathoner. He has the body, the talk and the workout routine to prove it.  Every Friday at lunch, he leaves from our office, runs 2 miles to South Mountain, does hill repeats for I dont know how many times then runs 2 miles back, takes a shower in our work showers (gross) and continues on his day. He always invites our wellness committee to his runs but I don't think anyone goes.

ANYWAY... our normal Insantiy workout had to be canceled due to a meeting booked in the same space we work out in. So I had a brilliant idea to see if anyone wanted to run around the Tempe Diablo Stadium (where the Angels hold spring break training)- 2 times around is about 3 miles. To my surprise 5 of us said we would go. Chris was one of the 5. We started off together and then broke out into twos. I ended up hanging with Chris and ran the entire 3 miles at a 6.7 pace (except going up the Buttes Hill YIKES). I kept saying I dont run this fast and he kept saying most people dont realize how fast they can run and stop looking at my watch. We talked the entire 26 minutes about running. When we finished I thanked him for the push and said we should run more often.. he invited me to his hill repeats but I have not committed to anything yet!


From Zero to 6.7 pace in 6 months- I think can officially say I am a runner!

No comments:

Post a Comment